Friday, March 16, 2012

Winners Announced! And...More Code Fun!

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on my interview with author Patricia Iles.  I know several of you also promoted the interview on the twitter so many thanks to you too!

Thanks to the handy dandy random number generator, I have two random winners for a copy of Patricia's book.  The first winner receives a copy of A Gathering of Light and the second winner receives A Light in the Mountains.  I did not include Patricia's comments in the total number and only counted one comment per person which gave us a total of nine comments.  Our winners are...

Lucky commenter number four is Emily Morris! Yay Emily!

The next winner is
MidLyfeMama is lucky commenter number 3! Woo hoo!

Email me at kawilliams082 at yahoo dot com and I'll send you the code for your download.

Thanks again to Patricia.  I had a blast!  I hope you sell millions of books!!

Okay, now onto the mind-numbingly confusing world of code.  Today I will impart my infinite wisdom (hahaha!) on how to add twitter, pinterest button thingies.

Before I get started, there is someone I must thank, someone I was remiss in acknowledging in yesterday's post.  I know she is going to say, "No, no, no you don't have to thank me!"  But I do.  Because if it wasn't for her I never would have had a button for my first (and only) most embarrassing moment linky.  The amazing lady I am talking about is Rach aka @DonutsMama of Life Ever Since.  Last summer, when I was blowing up the twitter with my angst and woe over not being able to create button, many people tried to help but Rach took matters into her own hands and created the code for me. I was soooooo grateful and relieved (as I'm sure the rest of the twatosphere was when I finally shut up about it).  She is such a sweetheart and if you don't follow her blog, you should.

Okay, on to code!  YEEEEAAAAAYYY!!!

Now, the easiest way to do this is to find, or create, a twitter (or pinterest, or facebook, etc.) button, upload it to your blog like you would any picture and then link to the destination you want it to go, like your twitter page.

You can do this as many times as you want for as many buttons as you want, but (to my knowledge) you have to upload each of these separately and depending on your design layout, you don't have as much control over how they appear on your blog. If I had uploaded my cool twitter and pinterest buttons this way, they would have been stacked on top of each other instead of next to each other like most bloggers have laid it out.  And since I like to hang with the cool kids, I wanted my blog to look like theirs.

Are you sufficiently confused yet?  Well, it's about to get a whole lot worse.

Kidding!  It's actually pretty easy (said the girl who took eight months trying to figure it out).

Note: these instructions are for BLOGGER bloggers, I'm not sure how well this translates to Wordpress blogs.

Step One: Get social media icons. 
You can create your own, hire a designer or check out sites like Handycon or Web Designer Depot.  Both offer free collections and they have lots of really cool designs.

Step Two: Get your codes.
Upload your images to Photobucket.  For instructions on how to do this read yesterday's post.  If you made your own icons, you may have to edit the size (also explained here).  I can't say for certain, but I assume if you download them from a site or have a designer create them, they will be the right size.

The code you want to grab for your icons is the HTML code. Note: each icon will have it's own code so you will have to repeat this step for each icon you want to include. There are two ways you can grab your code.  You can hover over the image and select it from the menu below.  Or you can click on the image and select the code at the bottom left of the screen.

Example: if you want to add a twitter icon, the code you grab will look like this:


Next, replace the first part of the code (in bold) with the URL of your destination, in this case it is your twitter page.

Example:

You will repeat step two for each icon you want to add. (I do all of this in Word. Once I have everything I need, I copy to my blog.)

Step Three: Add the codes to your blog.
Once you have all the codes you need, you're going to list them one after another.

In the example below, I've included the code for my twitter icon and pinterest icon.
Notice the text in bold. You want to include this if you want to have a space between each of your icons. So, you'll notice I have code for my twitter icon, immediately followed by the code for a space (in bold) immediately followed by the code for my pinterest icon.  If I were to add a code for a facebook icon, I would add the space code after the pinterest code and then add the facebook code.

Copy your entire block of code. Go to the DESIGN tab, ADD A GADGET, select the HTML/JAVA SCRIPT gadget and paste your code. 

Save and you are done!

Note: If your icons don't appear or something looks funky, paste your code into NOTEPAD first, then copy and paste it into your blog.

I sure hope that made some sort of sense.  If you have questions, hit me up on twitter: @SarcasmGoddess

Happy weekend and don't forget to check out my poll on the sidebar!

Quote of the Day
I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.  
~English Professor (Name Unknown), Ohio University 

Word of the Day
toothsome: delicious; attractive; luscious.

9 comments:

  1. Right now I have social button images that I found for free somewhere. They're pretty enough, but someday I should design my own like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah these are good directions! I like that you're adding how-tos to the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at you with your nifty button and social media icons AND sharing your wisdom! just further proof of your awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew you were so brilliant? About this stuff, I mean. I knew you were brilliant about other stuff. :)

    Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello SG - I just read J&D - OMG, awesome! Would love to know where I can get a proper copy (still not an ebook fan!). And I have a sneaking suspicion I saw your masked self at a recent launch for a NY Times bestseller? Am I mistaken? I really like "connecting dots".
    cheers
    pete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. You should pin this. And yes, I mean, no no no, you shouldn't have mentioned me! And you made me sound smarter and nicer than I really am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, again, for helping me with my blog! I created my button using your instructions...after many others failed. Now I have my fantabulous follow buttons! You can view them on my blog...danisuedreams.blogspot.com. I have also added your button in gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...my blog button image is crappy crap crap right now. It works though thanks to you! I just can't seem to make something that feels like me.

      Delete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.