Monday, February 27, 2012

What I Like About...Me?

 What I like about you, you hold me tight
Tell me I'm the only one, wanna come over tonight, yeah
You're whispering in my ear
Tell me all the things that I wanna hear 'cause that's true
That's what I like about you

As soon as I sat down to write this list, the above song came to me.  But today's task is not to write what I like about you (you smell pretty, you have nice hair, you're a good dancer).  I'm linking up with Just. Be. Enough. to write what I like about ME.

Yikes.

I believe this may be the hardest post I've ever had to write.  So many of us  - especially young girls - are taught not to like ourselves.  Like that scene in Mean Girls where the plastics are talking about what they hate about themselves and then they turn to Lindsey Lohan's character waiting expectantly for her to chime in about her own flaws.

If we don't point our something we dislike about ourselves we appear narcissistic, or stuck-up, or full of ourselves.  But the more we say negative things about ourselves the more we believe them.

I am completely guilty of this.  It's so much harder to say good things about myself than bad.  And when the depression kicks in...fugetaboutit.

But today is not about depression.  It's about celebrating me!  So here it is; a list of things I like about myself.

1. I like that I have discovered my life's passion and am pursuing it with my whole heart.

2. I like that I am passionate.  Whatever emotion I am feeling, I feel it wholeheartedly. 

3. I am loyal.

4. I am funny.  Not everyone may agree with this, but I crack myself up on the daily and since I have to be around myself 24/7 it's a good thing I find myself amusing.

5. I like that I can laugh at myself.  This is the greatest thing my dad ever taught me.

6. I am very empathetic.

7. I like my hair.

8. I like my eyes and eyelashes.

9. I like that I speak my mind.

10. I like that I can hold my tongue for the sake of other's feelings.

11. I like that I am Irish & Italian.  Although I had no control over this, I am proud of my roots.

12. I like that I try to make others happy.

13. I like that I am searching to find what's best for me.

14. I like that I made this list even though it was way outside my comfort zone!

And now I have this song in my head:

 She likes me for me,
not because i look like tyson bedford,
with the charm of robert redford,
oozing out my ears,

Hmmm...are there any songs about liking yourself?

Link up with Just. Be. Enough. and tell us what you like about you!

P.S. I now have a button, thanks to Just Jennifer!  Since I know how much you guys like me too, it's a picture of my face!  Go ahead and grab it...you know ya wanna.


32 comments:

  1. I like number 4. =) The foremost purpose of having a sense of humour is to make yourself laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am the one and only" by Rick Astley?

    Now that I just aged myself and RickRolled your blog post, may I say that I loved your list and the positivity! Thanks for linking up at JBE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Rick Astley but I don't think I know that song. Of to go have a listen...

      Delete
  3. Your list made me smile. It's a brave thing to do. I might just give it a try before I go to bed. Thanks for the inspiration - and I'm really glad you like yourself!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, good post! I agree - girls are taught to ALWAYS be self deprecating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A song:
    I am beautiful
    No matter what they say
    Words can't bring me down
    I am beautiful
    In every single way
    Yes words can't bring me down
    Oh no
    So don't you bring me down today

    Good job, sister!

    I have a confession: I have written a post yet. But I will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This kind of stuff IS hard! I read this post falling more in love with you because I like these qualities in people in general. People who can't laugh at themselves??? Next!

    I also read it feeling like we are more similar than I thought because I am ALSO Irish and Italian! And then, as I was typing this comment, my memory insecurities reared their ugly heads. I am actually NOT Irish and Italian. I'm Irish and German and just forgot for a minute. Damn this memory. It's one of the things I don't like about myself. When does Just Be Enough allow me to write that post? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German. Italian. It's all the same. Sort of. I agree about people who take themselves too seriously. Get. Them. Outta here!

      Delete
  7. #4 - so true, I laugh at you all the time ;)

    correction, as per #5 -- I am laughing with you.

    And judging by the pic on your new lovely button - you got a great smile too. and that's completely sincere.

    grabbed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this list. And you're right, it's hard. I came up with two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep working! I know there are more than two!

      Delete
  9. I agree with you 100% that it took me much longer to compile a list of the things I like about myself, compared to how easily it was to keep tabs on the mental garbage dumpster, which I must say, operates pretty much automatically.

    The past few week had been hellish for me, and this linky couldn't have come at a more perfect time! As difficult as it was to sit myself down long enough to think about the POSITIVES, at the end of it, it really was like a breath of fresh air. And reading all the lists that others make about themselves, it's dang inspiring and making me all teary and want to hug y'all.

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you decided to link up. There's no doubt that you're hilarious and that your neuroses entertain me on a daily basis ;) but underneath it all, you're amazing. You really are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. People think I am nuts, but when asked what I think is sexy in a woman, my answer is always 'a healthy self-image.'

    I makes everything else better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome list! Thanks for the comment on mine. Oh my have do I ever speak my mind and yes, thankfully, I've also learned to hold my tongue not to hurt others feelings. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea! And I am glad you are you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you times a million trillion. You are one in a million and I'm so glad you did this list.
    I'm also glad you mentioned the movie "Mean Girls" because I mutha heffin love it.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. #4- YES!! I always hear from my kids (in their sarcastic tone) "Funny, mom!" and I always respond; "I know! I'm freakin HILARIOUS!" Haha!

    I'm Italian and Irish as well...awesome combo, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although I didn't create a list in this vein because of my current reality, I thought of Maya Angelou's poem Phenomenal Woman when I first saw the link up post:
    "It's in the reach of my arms
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me."

    I love that we are all making lists. I just asked my 10 year old daughter to make a list as well to keep in her wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so glad to see that you joined in on this, and that's a great list! I love #1 and #13 - those are both totally amazing things. Seeing people do that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this list and the concept! Good for you for writing it and talking about how for some reason it's negative to like things about ourselves. I think I will be using this one in my journal this week.

    Loving it AND your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you made this list and linked it up with Just. Be. Enough. It's funny how many of us comment on how far out of the comfort zone it is for us to write these lists. All the more reason to keep it close and look at it often!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great list! And we have even more in common than I suspected. I'm really happy you found plenty of things to love about yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SO glad you took this list on---it is an awesome list! And #5, love that. So very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Without having read your post, my JBE post started the same way - about how my girlfriends and I sort of instinctively gravitate towards negativity and criticisms about ourselves. It's such a universal thing for women, and I feel it, too.

    #11 and #13 definitely resonated with me! I love my roots, too, and I'm on my own self-realization journey. Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Number 7 did it for me. Yes, I'm that superficial. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list! It's wonderful when we can come up with things about ourselves that don't make us hurl. I like about me that I like your blog which, in turn, means I like you, too. Oh, I'm so weepy and sentimental now that I gotta dig out the girl scout cookies!!

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.