Passion. If there is one word that describes an Italian, passion is it. We SPEAK LOUDLY and talk with our hands (honestly, is there any other way to do it?). Because we don't just live life, we live it with passion. Which can sometimes get us into trouble...
Hopefully I won't get into any as I assemble this week's Listicles topic brought to us by Jackie of Not Wifezilla. Jackie asked us to tell her our passions. Here we go.
I Am Passionate About...
1. Writing! Which is probably a good thing since I am a writer. Then again, I'm probably a writer because I'm passionate about writing. Who knows, really. It'll probably forever be one of life's greatest mysteries, just like that whole chicken, egg thing.
If I go too long without writing, I get cranky. If I go way too long without writing, my head spins around and I start throwing things.
2. Travel. This passion was ignited by my senior class trip to Europe. Until then, I never imagined how diverse the world is. You mean, not everywhere is flat country with a 10 minute drive to the beach?
The mountains in Switzerland, the castle in Austria, the Colesseum in Rome, the canals in Venice are a far cry from sand dunes and rolling ocean waves. Ever since that trip, I want to see it all! The whole world! Okay, maybe not the whole world, but a super duper lot of it.
I recently sat down to make a list of all the places I want to visit (either for relaxation/vacation purposes or cultural enrichment) and soon realized it was completely pointless because I want to SEE ALL THE PLACES!
However, if I have to pick, the top five on my list (in no particular order) are:
The Maldives. I think this might be what heaven looks like.
Italy. Amalfi Coast is pictured here, but I want to see ALL OF IT.
3. History. If you were to give a me a quiz on important dates, events, times and places in history I would totally fail it. But I LOVE learning about history. Unfortunately I don't use it, so I lose it. I wanted to major in history in college, but I had no idea what I'd do with a history degree...and so I majored in marketing. Let's not discuss how that turned out.
4. People. I love that there are all different types of people that make up our world. The town I live in seriously lacks diversity, and after awhile...it gets a little annoying. Give me a girl with purple hair! A saxophonist on the corner! An obnoxious guy from Brooklyn ordering salami at the deli!
If anyone from my city reads my blog, they might argue that there is diversity here. But if they don't admit that a certain walk, a certain talk, a certain dress, a certain decorum is expected here, they are living in denial.
5. Reading. Few things are better than getting lost in a good book.
6. Being the change I want to see in the world. If I want to see us all be a little kinder, a little more compassionate, a little less ass-hatish, then I cannot just sit by and wait for it to happen. I have to be an active participant in eliciting change. Isn't there a saying that goes something like, "I wondered why somebody wasn't doing something and then I realized I am somebody?"
7. Being a good wife, mom (to my pups), daughter, friend.
8. Eating. I love food, people. Seriously.
9. Laughing. One of the things I love most about the husband is that he makes me laugh.
10. Passion. Life without passion isn't life.
***This quote seems to be attributed to Angela Monet; however upon researching who she was (and finding very little information about her) it seems the correct source of the quote is Madame de Stael's "Germany".