Monday, February 6, 2012

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane..."

 "...by those who could not hear the music."***

Passion.  If there is one word that describes an Italian, passion is it.  We SPEAK LOUDLY and talk with our hands (honestly, is there any other way to do it?).  Because we don't just live life, we live it with passion.  Which can sometimes get us into trouble...

Hopefully I won't get into any as I assemble this week's Listicles topic brought to us by Jackie of Not Wifezilla.  Jackie asked us to tell her our passions.  Here we go.

I Am Passionate About...

1. Writing!  Which is probably a good thing since I am a writer.  Then again, I'm probably a writer because I'm passionate about writing.  Who knows, really.  It'll probably forever be one of life's greatest mysteries, just like that whole chicken, egg thing.

If I go too long without writing, I get cranky.  If I go way too long without writing, my head spins around and I start throwing things.

2. Travel.  This passion was ignited by my senior class trip to Europe.  Until then, I never imagined how diverse the world is.  You mean, not everywhere is flat country with a 10 minute drive to the beach?

The mountains in Switzerland, the castle in Austria, the Colesseum in Rome, the canals in Venice are a far cry from sand dunes and rolling ocean waves.  Ever since that trip, I want to see it all!  The whole world!  Okay, maybe not the whole world, but a super duper lot of it.

I recently sat down to make a list of all the places I want to visit (either for relaxation/vacation purposes or cultural enrichment) and soon realized it was completely pointless because I want to SEE ALL THE PLACES!

However, if I have to pick, the top five on my list (in no particular order) are:

image source


The Maldives.  I think this might be what heaven looks like.

image source

Inca Ruins

image source

Ireland

image source
New Zealand

image source
Italy.  Amalfi Coast is pictured here, but I want to see ALL OF IT.

3. History.  If you were to give a me a quiz on important dates, events, times and places in history I would totally fail it.  But I LOVE learning about history.  Unfortunately I don't use it, so I lose it.  I wanted to major in history in college, but I had no idea what I'd do with a history degree...and so I majored in marketing.  Let's not discuss how that turned out.

4. People.  I love that there are all different types of people that make up our world.  The town I live in seriously lacks diversity, and after awhile...it gets a little annoying.  Give me a girl with purple hair!  A saxophonist on the corner!  An obnoxious guy from Brooklyn ordering salami at the deli!

If anyone from my city reads my blog, they might argue that there is diversity here.  But if they don't admit that a certain walk, a certain talk, a certain dress, a certain decorum is expected here, they are living in denial.

5. Reading.  Few things are better than getting lost in a good book.

6. Being the change I want to see in the world.  If I want to see us all be a little kinder, a little more compassionate, a little less ass-hatish, then I cannot just sit by and wait for it to happen. I have to be an active participant in eliciting change.  Isn't there a saying that goes something like, "I wondered why somebody wasn't doing something and then I realized I am somebody?"

7. Being a good wife, mom (to my pups), daughter, friend.

8. Eating.  I love food, people.  Seriously.

9. Laughing.  One of the things I love most about the husband is that he makes me laugh.

10. Passion.  Life without passion isn't life.

***This quote seems to be attributed to Angela Monet; however upon researching who she was (and finding very little information about her) it seems the correct source of the quote is Madame de Stael's "Germany".

22 comments:

  1. Aww, those are some great passions! And great pics of places - I WANNA GO TOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously agree with your vision of what heaven must look like, and I really hope we're right. These are some worthy passions. Especially reading... oh, yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's take our books to one of those huts and read all day!

      Delete
    2. Throw in a handsome 'hut boy' to feed us grapes and I'm in!

      Delete
  3. What a list full of passions. I am completely jealous about those places you visited. Beautiful! Funny, we both have laughter on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredibly wonderful list. The opening quote fits my daughter perfectly. She dances everywhere to the music in her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so fantastic! I hope she keeps it up her whole life.

      Delete
  5. I totally dig history too! And I've even thought about majoring in it (if I ever go back to college)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so alike it's creepy...in a good way.

      Delete
  6. You sure are passionate! About things that a really worth being passionate about. Love #6,I just watched a documentary that had the same message: how can we expect change if we are not part of it?
    What kind of pups do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sheltie and a skipper key (which is not you spell his breed at all, but spelling it correctly would require me to look it up and I'm incredibly lazy. i should have included that as one of my passions.).

      Delete
  7. Go Gators...and I think when I grow up travel will be on my passion list. Now it just makes me think of how I don't have the time or money. But I would love to see the world (and write about it). How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Combining two passions is indeed a dream come true!

      Delete
  8. I like that you're passionate about passion.

    Good list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great list! I agree about history, love that stuff but can't seem to retain the knowledge unfortunately.
    Oh, and it's Schipperke. I have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I am so with you on so many points! There are just so many places in the world that I want/need to see.

    You totally put me to shame by putting history on your list. I am a history major, I work in a museum happily researching local history and I totally forgot to put it on my list. I guess it is such a part of my every day life that I take it for granted. Ooops.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is bacon not on this list? Ireland is gorgeous - you will be getting a nice taste in March on my blog..he doors, the pubs, the castles..twhat better month to highlight the greenest country?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many things I TOTALLY agree with here. Less ass-hatish people. Check. I love a diverse setting. The town I grew up in was filled with good, white Christian Americans. I love a melting pot of religion and culture and color and accents.

    It's important to me to travel, to be a good mom (to my pups), for my husband to think I'm funny, and for my friends to feel important.

    So good. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! Ireland is amazing! And I love history, I just never use it either, unless we play a useless knowledge game!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome list! No wonder I like you so much...

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.