Thursday, February 2, 2012

THANK YOU

Thank you all for your comments, emails, DMs and tweets in response to yesterday's post.  It means so so much to know that you all are there and that you care.

I've written at least a dozen posts similar to that one, but I've never had the courage to hit publish.

What will people think?

No one wants to read that.

They come here to laugh.  Keep it light!  Keep it funny!

But what I should have realized (what was impossible for me to realize in my current state) is that I'm not alone.  So many people are suffering from the disease too.  Or they are a loved one of someone who is suffering and are fighting their own battle: to support, to understand, to love us in the times we feel unlovable.

So thank you so much, for being there.

I never could have imagined how much hitting "publish" would help.  I never could have imagined the release I would feel in putting it out there.  Not just writing the things I cannot say, but having others read it.  And care.  And relate.

No, it didn't make all the pain go away - that's another incredibly frustrating thing about depression, you have no idea when it will strike, how bad it will be and how long it will last - but it helped.

Bloggers often say we blog because it's cheaper than therapy.  And it's true!  It was easier to write how I was feeling than to say it.  And it was easier to accept the support in written form than sit across from somebody and hear it.  Because when I talk to people about my depression, my mind interprets their expressions and body language and the look in their eyes as judgment and disgust, but when I read their words my mind (thankfully) accepts them.

I write this not just to say thank you, but because I know I'm not alone.  So many of you told me you also suffer, and so I encourage you: write about it.  It doesn't have to be pretty or well-thought out or coherent.  It doesn't have to be a blog post or a letter.  It can be scribblings on a napkin or lipstick on your bathroom mirror.  Just write.  Write everything you feel.  Write all the nasty things your mind says to you.  And then let them go.

I'm not trying to oversimplify it.  Believe me, I know releasing your depression is not as simple as watching a funny movie, or playing with puppies, or running through daisies.  I know there are days you cannot get out of bed and it's a struggle just to put one foot in front of the other. 

But when I wrote about how I was feeling and then shared it, I felt like (for the first time) I was fighting back.

I realize it is easy for me to say this today, when the weight has lifted and my mind is clear.  But my hope, my prayer, is that when the darkness comes again, somehow, someway, I will remember the support and the love, and I will fight.

That is my prayer for all of you.  That you keep fighting.  Because you are worth it.  We all are.

7 comments:

  1. I just think you are not even REMOTELY alone in this, and the "stigma" of telling people that you're struggling emotionally isn't anything like it once was. . . SHARE!!! We got your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm thinking about you. I appreciate so much the honesty with which you shared and perhaps gave voice to others who haven't yet hit "publish." I think it's inspiring and empowering and whether you now it or not, you're lifting others up. It might not be your intention, but it's happening.

    Sending see beautiful thoughts your way.

    http://seeabeautifulworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your last two posts, and I'm glad that you're feeling a little bit lighter today, and I'm very glad that you have already received lots of support. When you put your words out there, it can be quite a shock to realize that you really are reaching people and connecting with them, but it is so POWERFUL when you do. Hang in there, and try to let all of that support prop you up when your illness and the world push you down. I, for one, am still out here reading.

    Take care!
    Lisa
    www.ISoldMyPearlsToDoIt.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Because blogging is cheaper than therapy!" used to be my tagline. I still have it on my facebook page, actually. I'm currently trying to come up with something a little more unique to ME. But it's still very true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((hugs))
    I totally understand. I have been there. I am there. I deal with that every day. You are sooooo not alone in this. It's amazing how many people are out there and feel the same. Hang in there. We are here to support you.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it helped you to write it...and that the support you received helped. I know it helps others to know that they're not alone. I'm very proud of you for hitting 'publish'.

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.