Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's Like Interview With a Vampire, But With Fewer Vampires

Squee! Guess what I'm doing today? I'm interviewing a real life writer!

Drum roll please...

Welcome to Interview With A Writer!  It’s exactly like Interview With A Vampire, except with fewer vampires.  Unless my guest today is a vampire, in which case you guys should probably read this while wearing a scarf made of garlic.  Or something.  I’m not very well versed on vampires.  Which is why I’m interviewing one.

Maybe.

How about we just find out so we can either breathe a little easier or run and hide?

Emily Casey
Today’s guest is Emily Casey.  Welcome, Emily!  I know I speak for all of my readers when I say we are so glad to have you here.  Before we get started, there is one thing everyone is dying to know… Are you a vampire?

Emily: Like you, I don’t know much about vampires. I wouldn’t know how to check. But now I’m paranoid.

You and me both.  I think I'll wear my garlic scarf just in case.

Let's continue on to a proper, professional interview, shall we?  Proper and professional - me? Hahahaha!  I feel I should probably apologize for what’s about to happen, Emily.  I’m not guaranteeing this interview will be a disaster (I’m truly hoping for a smooth ride) but in case of an emergency, life vests are located under your seat.  If, at any time, you want to exit this interview, doors are located at the rear and middle of this blog.

I recommend that everyone fasten their seatbelts and get ready to meet writer Emily Casey!

SG: You recently wrote a book called The Fairy Tale Trap.  What six words best describe this story?

Emily: Sarcastic teenager gets stuck in fairytale. Like how I left out a space to make it one word? I’m a writer. I make my own rules.

SG: I did like how you did that.  And I love a girl who plays by her own rules.  Okay, now using flowcharts and toothpicks and hand-puppets, tell us a little about the story.  Or you could just use sentences.  That’d probably be better.

Emily: Ivy’s a military brat who’s scared of mirrors. (I’m not kidding.) Turns out, mirrors are scary and one of them sucks her into a fairy tale (Beauty and the Beast) She has to make it through the fairy tale to get back home.

SG: A new twist on an old favorite.  I love it.  How did you come up with the idea for The Fairy Tale Trap?

Emily: I read this story called Beauty and the Beast. It sounded familiar, but I totally ripped it off. Ivy is my inner child and I just stuck the two together.

SG: Your main character, Ivy is quite spunky and tenacious.  Is she based on anybody you know?

Emily: She’s just one of the voices that lives in my head. Nothing too exciting about that.

SG: How long did it take you to write The Fairy Tale Trap?  Did you have people read it and give you feedback before publishing it?  If so, how do you deal with constructive criticism – did it ever make you want to sit in the corner and eat your hair?  Did you make any major changes based on the feedback you received?

Emily: It took about a year. I got lots of feedback and I chose to keep the good suggestions. The bad ones I sorta just ignored. ;) Someone recommended I kill either Beauty or Beast. (I didn’t.) But it gave me an idea that changed the course of the story. When Ivy breaks the fountain? Yeah. That’s where the story branches off from the first draft. I’m not kidding.

I’m not a big fan of human hair, so I just pulled it out and made a nest out of it for the birds that live in my back yard.

SG: Make a nest for the birds!  That is genius.  And much better than birds actually living in your hair, which happens to me far too often.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?

Emily: Write a crappy first draft, then revise. You’d be surprised how helpful that is. Go ahead. Try it. I’ll wait.
 

SG:Write crappy? That's all I have to do?  I'm great at that!

Moving on.  Why is my hair so shiny?...You don’t have to answer that.  My dogs kept begging me to ask that question and I told them it wasn’t appropriate but they just Would. Not. Stop.  Speaking of dogs, when I walk down the stairs, Evil Cody bats my ankles with his paws like he’s trying to trip me.  Do you think he’s just having fun or trying to kill me?

Emily: Maybe he’s trying to see who’s more dominant. (Dogs do that.) Dominant dogs never trip or poop. I think the appropriate response is to pee all over him. That’s what I would do.

SG: Pee on him.  Of course!  Why didn't I think of that?  I have a feeling you have just changed my life forever.

I should probably get back on topic...

Which fairy tale would you hate to be trapped in?

Emily: Cinderella. How would you like to choose between a life of slavery or being married to someone who couldn’t remember what you looked like? He had to find you based on your SHOE SIZE?! Come on.

SG:  I never thought about it like that before. That prince is such a dolt! 

Tell me, which fairy tale character would you most like to have lunch with?

Emily: I think Snow White would be the best cook. Wasn’t she always making pies? I like pie.

SG: What is your favorite thing about writing?

Emily: My kids don’t know what I’m doing. It’s like my secret hideout.

SG: What do you like the least about writing?

Emily: I don’t like the way it makes my brain feel like mush. It can take hours to get it to gel afterward.

SG: What are your three favorite words?

Emily: prism, penultimate, phantasmagorical. I don’t know why they all start with “p”.

SG: Hold on while I get a dictionary to look those last two up...

What inspires you?

Emily: Lately, it’s been music. Sometimes the right song paints a scene in my head.

SG: Have you seen my boots?  They’re the hot pink ones with the gold trim.  The last time I remembering seeing them, I was trapped in an elevator with a monkey and a… Never mind, I just remembered where they are.  I think I’ll leave them there.

Emily: Good. Cause if I got to them first, I... never mind.

SG: Hmm, what makes me think I won't get them back?

How do you deal with the dreaded writer’s block?

Emily: Chop the block into tinder and burn, baby, burn! (Fortunately, my blocks are made of wood.)

SG: You e-published The Fairy Tale Trap to Smashwords.  What advice do you have for other writers who are planning to publish to Smashwords?  

Emily: Read the style guide!

SG: Your book is also available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Did you have to publish separately to each one?  

Emily: Just Amazon and Smashwords. Smashwords sends it to B&N, iTunes, and a bunch of other places. It’s pretty much my slave.

SG: Who is your favorite author?

Emily: Gail Carriger. No... Patricia Briggs, I think. I have a few.

SG: In a fight between a unicorn and a velociraptor, who do you think would win?
 

Emily: I know how to pronounce unicorn, so I’ll go with that.

SG: Good choice.  What are you working on now and how long do I have to wait to read your next book?
 

Emily: Cinderella and Zombies is with beta readers. I’m starting draft 2 of The Fairy Tale Twist. I’m guessing it’ll be done it August. It takes a loooong time to revise.

SG: Indeed it does!

Well folks, we’ve arrived at our destination.  There was some turbulence but nobody had to use a life vest so I think we can call this interview a success.  A special thanks to Emily for being here.  She is obviously one cool chick to put up with my shenanigans.

I had so much fun reading The Fairy Tale Trap!  Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale of all time and I so enjoyed this fresh twist on a classic story.

You guys wanna hear something really exciting? Emily has generously offered two free copies to my readers!!!  Leave me a comment telling me your favorite fairy tale and I will randomly pick two winners and announce them on Friday!  Other acceptable comments include telling me why my hair is so shiny, or if you’d be willing to go get my hot pink boots.  I decided I really do want them after all (although it sounds like you might have to fight Emily for them).  And of course mentioning bacon is always acceptable.

For those who don’t win, you can purchase The Fairy Tale Trap for just $2.99!  And don’t worry, you don’t have to have a Nook or Kindle to read it.  You can download it to your computer or phone (assuming, of course, you have a phone that connects to the Interwebs); it only takes seconds!

You can stalk Emily on twitter at @EmilyCaseysMuse or on her website Emily Casey.

Thank you again, Emily, for being here.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  Can’t wait to read the next one!

18 comments:

  1. I found your pink boots. They were under the bacon. Thanks for the interview! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really cute interview! Good luck on your sales!! I LOVED your comment about the prince not remembering Cinderella's face so had to find a foot that fit the shoe. That was precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an excellent read that I can enjoy with some butter beer and a side of bacon! I always liked Rapunzel. Disney already twisted the story thoroughly; although I did enjoy it.

    lovely to meet Emily.....love your pink boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link! This book looks interesting, so I may have to purchase it... My kindle requires sustenance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! My favorite fairy tale was Cinderella when I was a kid. I'd have to say now I'm enjoying the TV show, Once Upon a Time. That totally counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it possible to be in love with someone of the same sex whose face I've only seen covered in a pink mask and lives I don't know where and is married already and doesn't want children but would probably love my dogs?

    Please answer that in one sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds great!!
    I also love Beauty and The Beast. Its my favourite fairy tale.

    SG: have you been eating dog food? That could be the reason for your shinny coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I have! You are so smart! Mystery solved, everyone.

      Delete
  8. the book sounds amazing... my favorite fairy tale was always Sleeping Beauty ... was that actually a fairy tale or just a Disney movie.. I'm not quite sure anymore.

    I really want to try bacon cupcakes (you can thank the robot mommy for putting that in my head)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This interview just MAKES me want to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is so shiny because the trapped elevator monkey rubbed its feces on your head, as monkeys do, and we all know primate fecal matter contains excellent nutrients. The back of my Paul Mitchell bottle specifically lists banana flavored monkey crap in its ingredients. I can't go get your boots from the monkey because my hair is shiny enough from the Paul Mitchell products and also because I will be busy eating Bacon and reading my favorite fairy tale, Attractive Snoozing Lady aka Sleeping Beauty. Did I cover everything? Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa...whoa....holy cow. So I love the whole giveaway thing but I'm not patient so after I leave this awesome comment I.am running to buy this book. My favorite tale is beauty and the beast. No joke. I am freaking ot about this. Also..the next book...ZOMBIES!!!!! Can I just hug you now? SG thank you for this interview...time to.make some bacon and get lost on a fairy tale...oh..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Favorite is Snow White b/c I kinda look like her... I think? White skin dark hair and all... I think I should win since my favorite happens to be Emily's favorite too ;)and I plan on naming my first daughter Emily so there is that.

    I think your hair is shiny b/c you switch out shampoos and conditioners at least that's what I remember you telling me in highschool after I asked you what your secret to perfect hair is. Do you remember that? It always stuck with me ;)

    Great Interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview, SG and Emily. It sounds like a good book...but I'm worried it may make me scared of mirrors. I guess I'll have to risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read it and then turn into a princess ... any hope?

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.