Friday, October 14, 2011

The Playground Knight

First, I want to thank all of you for your excitement and congratulations and amazing comments on my I Am. Number Seventy-One post.  You all are so so amazing and it truly means the world that you were so happy for me.

Now, for a little fiction.  I'm linking up with the Romantic Friday Writers for their "First Love" prompt.  This isn't exactly the most romantic short story ever written, but there is the hope of future romance.  Be sure to check out the other stories!



The Playground Knight 

She pulled off the road and put the car in park.  Five minutes.  That’s all she needed before she went home.  She took a deep breath and told herself not to cry, but the tears defied her and sprung to her eyes.  Defeated, she dropped her head in her hands and let the sobs overtake her.

It felt good to let the dam break, but she needed to stop before her eyes became puffy.  He couldn’t know she’d been crying.
 
Kristy looked in the visor mirror to wipe her eyes, but something outside the window caught her eye.  
 
She’d parked in front of a playground where a young boy was pushing a little girl on a swing.
 
Suddenly, she was transported back twenty-five years to the playground at Parker Elementary.
 
Tommy Wilkerson liked to play with bugs.  And lizards.  And would catch frogs and hide them in Mrs. Goldman’s desk drawer.  He was always filthy, mud on his shirt, sand in his hair, dirt on his face.  She never paid him much attention; he was a boy, and an icky one at that.
 
Billy Wilder was a bully.  He mostly picked on the other boys, but one day he decided to target her.  He tripped her on the way to the swings, getting her favorite yellow dress dirty.  Before the tears could spring to her eyes, Tommy ran over and pushed Billy down.
 
“Don’t you know you’re not supposta be mean to girls?”
 
From that day forward, Tommy was no longer an icky boy.  He was a hero.  She loved him ardently all through elementary and middle school.  She cried hot tears in her pillow for six weeks when he moved away freshman year. 
 
Breaking away from the past, Kristy looked down at the gold band on her finger.  She’d dated a lot of guys since the day she’d been rescued on the playground, but in the end she didn’t marry the knight.  She married the troll under the bridge.  Like Billy, Ray Thatcher didn’t know you’re not supposed to be mean to girls, as evidenced by the bruises beneath her shirt.
 
He was waiting for her to come home with the damn fixins for the damn chili like he’d asked her the first damn time and if she didn’t hurry, more bruises would follow.
 
Kristy shifted into drive and looked at the playground one last time.  The children were running to the slide. The little girl tripped.  The boy stopped, held out his hand and helped her to her feet.
 
Kristy put her foot on the gas, but instead of driving forward, she made a u-turn.  She wasn’t sure of the direction she was headed, but she knew where she was going - to find Tommy Wilkerson, her first love.



20 comments:

  1. Love this story! I'm cheering for your protagonist! Hope Kristy finds Tommy, her knight and first love!
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's RFWers' Challenge No. 23-'First Love'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the ending to this, thank you. Go and find him girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Oh nice twist, running out on a bully. Love there if but in a flashback. A lot of ground to be covered and caught up on, presupposing she can she locate Tommy! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope she finds her first love. I wonder why she married the bully. Loads of backstory and intrigue.

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great twist at the end and wonderful description of what a bully, abuser would say and do. I love that you turned a battered woman into her own hero.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, SG! Everything fits, nothing is extraneous, and Kristy is her own hero. Love love love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this sparkles. She's a spunk! A great edgy way to tackle First Love theme. Love, love, love it! Now keep writing this story...

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello.
    You totally took me by surprise with that ending!

    Good for her that she's off in search of first love Tommy. She certainly has a lot of catching up to do.

    I agree with L'Aussie...we need more of this story.

    The Beauty Of Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nicely done. You surprised me with the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was quite a detour for the character. Interesting story. I want to know more about this character and why she has put up with this abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love imperfect heroines. I hope her life changes with lots of happiness thrown in. Yes, this story needs to be heard in full:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! I want to find Tommy Wilkerson too! How come the bullies win every time? Apparently, not this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sumptious and, as others said, I'd love to know the rest of the story. Your imagery is wonderful, I was with her immediately. Yeah for standing up to a bully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Came back for another read. Still sparkles. D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this story! Did she find Tommy? Can we beat up her husband? So many questions...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello.
    Just stopping by to congratulate you on receiving the Featured Writer Award for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your comments! They mean so much. And yes, Jacqui- we can go beat up her husband!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear SG,
    Congratulations for the Featured Writer-Award. You deserve it!

    Thank you for your kind comment about my 'First Love'-story! It warms the heart.

    I love the description of Kristy's marriage: 'She married the troll under the bridge'. I did not marry the troll under the bridge, but his second cousin, who was almost as bad. I wish I could find my Tommy Wilkerson.

    Is this part of a longer text? I would love to read the whole story!

    Best wishes,
    Anna
    For the benefit of other readers:
    Anna's RFWers' Challenge No. 23-'First Love'

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.