Sunday, August 14, 2011

Five Minutes

A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
-Thomas Mann

Stream of Consciousness Sunday.  Set a timer, write for five minutes.  No pausing, no pondering, no editing.  Just write.  For five minutes.  Go.

OMG OMG I have to write for five minutes.  Stream of consciousness?  Okay well, here’s what going through my consciousness right now: I don’t wanna go to work.  I don’t wanna go to work.  I need to take a shower.  And do laundry.  Dammit! It’s 11:30 on Sunday night and I need to do laundry.  Why don’t I ever plan ahead?

Maybe I can just dig through the dirty laundry and find something that doesn’t smell too dirty.
 
Ew.  What is wrong with you? 

Hey!  No judging.  This is Stream of Consciousness Sunday.

Ooh!  A tweet from @jenannhall.  Am I allowed to look at it?  Does it violate the rules of Stream of Consciousness Sunday?  Why doesn’t anyone give you a manual when they come up with these memes?!

Meme.  Is that the word?  Can I look it up so I don’t look like an idiot?  You know, cuz I definitely don’t look like one right now.  I wonder how many times I’ve written your when I meant you’re.

This is not going well.  Three minutes in and all I’ve talked about is wearing dirty laundry.  I’ve read some of the other Stream of Consciousness Sunday posts and they at least resemble something of a regular, thought-out, non-psychotic post.

Can I really post this and pass it off as a real post?

I really want to go back and read what I’ve already written.  And edit it. 

I’m pretty sure the point of this exercise was to make me a better writer.  However, I’m pretty sure it’s going to make me lose a follower or twelve.

Awesome.

Is my time up yet?

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.
-E.L. Doctorow



#SOCsunday

How it Works:

Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.

Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.

Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.

Visit our host All Things Fadra and read the other posts.

9 comments:

  1. So you re-wear dirty laundry, huh? ;)

    It's words on a page. Obviously that counts as a post! But really, is meme a word??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I can smell your stink all the way over here!

    #JustKidding

    I don't think I can do SOCS. I would die if I couldn't edit. So, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was laundry day for me too. I got half way done before I said screw it and went driving around with a coworker (K, my soon to be roommate).

    I'm sorry I haven't been around. Shit has been going down in Oklahoma and I've been avoiding everyone. I'm hoping getting back on here will make me feel better.

    Miss you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, this is almost EXACTLY what my first SOC post looked like before I hit "trash."
    Good for you for having bigger balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me? No editing? How many people speak Greek? Cause that's the language my posts are written in until I've edited them.

    No editing is like unto going to high school naked. Never gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I didn't do my laundry on Sunday.. gotta run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMFAO. This looks like some of my "discovery writing," where I just babble about a character as I try to figure them out. And then I go back and edit cause I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooooove the idea of not editing, not stopping, just writing the "monkey mind" as Natalie Goldberg says.
    That's when you get some good shit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this post and thought, thank goodness someone else has the same thoughts going through their head when they want to go back and check what they've written. In my case, it's the control freak in me which makes it difficult for me to partake in this type of exercise. Nevertheless, it sounds interesting. I think I'll try it but I can't promise I'll publish it anywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.