Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Blog - A - Licious Baby!

Today is another first for me.  I'm participating in my first blog tour!

My first first?  That was yesterday.  When I joined Twitter.  And the beginning of the end was, well, begun.  If you're not following me: @SarcasmGoddess, you're missing out on a rip-roaring good time, which is to say, it's a total mess over there ya'll.  I'm talking about peeing in elevators, people pulling my pants down  and squirrels in my under-carriage.  That's what Twitter's all about, right?  Right?

On to The Tour.  Today's post is in conjunction with the Blog-A-Licious Blog Tour.

What's that?

So glad you asked.  It's a fantastic blog hop that brings together bloggers of all genres, backgrounds and locations. In today's hop, the blog featured before mine is DK Levick's Writing in the Woods.  And...the blog after mine is a fellow SheWrites gal Totsymae.  Check em out, say hello, leave a comment, become a follower.  If you don't Very Bad Things Will Happen, like the beginning of the end of the world.  Oh wait, that's already happening

As part of the Blog-A-Licious Tour we're allowed to give give-aways.  Which is super fab.  Cuz I have something to give.  If you follow my blog I will give you awesomeness.  Oooooh.  I also give awards to followers.  They're weird.  The awards, not the followers.  Well maybe the followers are weird too, but that's okay.  Cuz this is a Judgment Free Zone.  Check out the award tabby thing at the top if you think you're interested.

Before we get to the theme of this tour, I have to give a big WOOT WOOT to Amber West who introduced me to the tour.  She's also the one who explained Twitter to me.  If things continue in this fashion I'm going to have to name my first child after her.

'Kay, you guys ready?  The theme of this tour is The Book That Inspires Me the Most.  When I saw the theme, one book came instantly to mind.  But could I really write about this book?  I searched and searched my mind, but kept coming back to this one: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.

For those of you who haven't read it, it's about how a bullied kid goes on a shooting rampage at school.

A book about a bullied kid who kills other kids is what inspires you most???

Hear me out.  It's not the story per se that inspires me, but the amazing way in which Ms. Picoult tells it.  It was the first book I'd read by her, and quite honestly, I'd never read anything like it.  Clearly being bullied is a terrible senselss tragedy.  And so is the death of innocent students and teachers.

What Ms. Picoult does so well is present a tradegy, a controversial issue, those things in life where, in the opinion of most, there is a clear right and wrong, a pure black and a pure white, from the point of view of everyone involved.  She takes you for a walk in their shoes - the victim's, the family's, the "bad person's" - makes you understand why they were compelled, driven, possessed to make the decision they did.  And in the end, although you may not agree with what they did, you better understand why. 

As an aspiring writer, I read Nineteen Minutes and was in awe.  As a reader, I was captivated by each page.  And as a person, a citizen of this world, I was a little less quick to judge, to snap to a decision, to assume those "I can't believe they did that" actions of others were entered into lightly.

Lastly, what Nineteen Minutes and all of Jodi Picoult's books do for me, is inspire me to be a better writer.  I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but since Nineteen Minutes I've been challenged to re-evaluate how I tell a story, to think about what makes a story "good," to make Every.  Word.  Count.

17 comments:

  1. Great blog, and your perspective on the book is great. Love your wit and yes I can say twat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that book. Would not have been my first choice for inspiring me, but can totally see why you picked it from your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, girl, you are a fantastic blogger. You're gonna be one of the big ones. I need to hop on the Twitter wagon too--I'm just so confuuuuused about it though! But if I join, I'll totalllly follow you and tweet in tune :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done a blog tour but sounds like great fun, so have fun you!!!

    So glad you joined Twitter and you knew what #FF was! I totally didn't when people first started #FF-ing me - I just said thank you and hoped they weren't swearing at me. You will be a SUPASTAR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful discovery. Yes, I have read the book and I love her in general and the way she writes. So glad you enjoyed the book and it inspired you to write. That is even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh ooh I want an award! lol And I'm already a follower and I promise to love it like my children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sarcasm Goddess,
    I'm # 10 on the tour and following you now! Yes, it is a great writer who can take a very "black and white" issue, and transform it into many compelling shades of gray. I think about this when I create my antagonists in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I'm actually #9 on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a subject of this nature to have inspired you to this extent means it's a book I absolutely must read. And so I shall. Thank you for being bold and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm now following you - I'm also on this tour along with you which is how I discovered your blog :D

    If I'd read about this book anywhere else I wouldn't want to read it. But you make a compelling argument for it. As an avid reader I'll definitely take your advice and read this one.

    http://www.mariscamera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, you sure are fabulous and your choice of most inspiring book is neat, not many people would pick this book as their favorite. We all like nice, happy and great books but some books teach because they are none of these things but different and more thought provoking.Am following you now..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Even if you don't agree, you better understand why". That is so true. Thank you SC for joining the blog tour.
    Cheers - Dora
    http://pandorapoikilos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jodi (I like to imagine we're on a first-name basis) is so good. She takes "controversial" topics and humanizes them. Makes them real.

    And 19 Minutes? That ending was just shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have not read the book but i have been the victim of a bully. and seen that he too was a victim. i think you do a good job of making words count. thank you for being on the tour and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jodi Piccoult is an amazing writer - I read one of her books about Amish people - and I couldnt put it down!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog on the Blog Tour- came by to return the favor. As someone who remembers Columbine with crystal clarity (I was a high school senior at the time), this book sounds like a really compelling read. I will definitely have to check this out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never have anything of interest to say on Twitter, and I actually just finished tweeting Justin Bieber, HOWEVER, that having been said, I am your newest follower 'cause I like you. A lot.
    Love the idea of the Blog Tour!

    ReplyDelete

I had to change my comment settings because I was getting too much spam. You can no longer comment anonymously. (I don't think anyone besides the spammers were doing this.) But I don't want to block the rest of you from commenting! If you're having trouble, tweet me at @sarcasmgoddess or email sarcasmgoddess at ymail dot com and I'll see what I can do to fix it.